Buttermilk pancakes with spiced pears & apple butter
Serves 4 – Recipe courtesy of Paula McIntyre
- 3 eggs
- 200ml Northern Ireland buttermilk
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 300g soda flour
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 2 apples, peeled cored and diced
- 4 ripe pears
- Juice 1 lemon
- 50g Northern Ireland butter
- 50g Demerara sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 50g castor sugar
- 100g Northern Ireland soft butter
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilk and syrup together.
- Mix in to the soda flour and sugar. Add the apples and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Rub a frying pan or griddle with a little oil and drop spoonfuls of the pancake mixture.
- When the surface bubbles, flip over. Repeat with the remaining batter and cool on wire racks or eat immediately.
- For the spiced pears, peel, quarter and core the pears and toss in the lemon juice.
- Heat the butter and sugar until the sugar starts to melt.
- Add the pears and cook for five minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- For the apple butter, cook the apple and sugar until soft. Blend to a smooth puree and cool.
- Whisk the butter and apple mixture together and chill.
- Spoon some warm pears on to the pancakes and top with a small scoop of the butter.