Chicken and vegetable pie
- 25g Northern Ireland butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 110g button mushrooms, wiped
- 25g plain flour
- 450ml Northern Ireland milk
- 175g of any green vegetable e.g. peas, asparagus, broccoli
- 450g of cooked chicken cut into strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs of Northern Ireland single cream
- 375g sheet of ready–to–roll puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F/ Gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the carrots, red onion and mushrooms.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Then stir in the flour using either a wooden spoon or plastic balloon whisk and gradually add the milk, stirring until the sauce thickens, boils and becomes smooth.
- In a separate saucepan, bring water to the boil and add your green vegetable and cook for 3 minutes to blanch it. Drain and refresh under cold running water and drain well again.
- Add the chicken, vegetable, seasoning and cream to the sauce. Pour the mixture into a 1.25 litre pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry to the same size as the dish, dampen the rim of the dish with milk and cover with the pastry. Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- To serve: Slice on a diagonal and accompany with a mixed salad.