Slow roasted chicken with cheese and mustard champ, cabbage parcels and stout gravy
Hannah Olivia Grace Morrison
Young Cook Finalist Recipe
- Mrs Heather Kettyle
- Collegiate Grammar Enniskillen
- Key Stage 4
- 440g corn fed chicken fillet
- 8 outer leaves of savoy cabbage
- 4 rashers of smoked back bacon, cut into lardons
- 10ml vegetable oil
- 50ml white balsamic vinegar
- 20g Northern Ireland low fat butter
- Extra oil for bench
- 400g potatoes, diced
- 100g scallions (green onions), chopped
- 1 cup Northern Ireland low fat, single cream
- 60g Northern Ireland half fat butter
- 60g Northern Ireland blue cheese
- 10g wholegrain mustard
- 100g carrots, diced
- 100g parsnips, diced
- 20g Northern Ireland half fat butter
- White pepper (to season)
- 70ml Guinness Irish stock
- 2 large onions
- 50g wild mushrooms
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp Northern Ireland low fat butter
- Pigs cawl
- Pre–heat oven.
- Prepare cabbage parcels: blanch cabbage leaves in boiling salt water. Chiffonade the remainder of the cabbage hearts, heat in a frying pan, and fry the lardoons until crisp. Add butter and balsamic vinegar, and mix with the bacon, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and cook slowly for 5–10 minutes. Season the cabbage leaves, and fill with 1 tablespoon of cabbage and bacon mixture, form a small tight ball using the pigs cawl to and keep the juices inside. Roll the ball in oil to keep together, then set aside.
- Season the chicken, flash fry until golden brown, cook out until succulent and the juices run clear in oven.
- Boil the potatoes, carrots and parsnips.
- Make the mushroom and stout gravy: combine the reduced chicken stock in a pan with the stout, add the wild mushroom, rosemary, thyme and garlic, then boil to reduce by about three–quarters.
- Put the cabbage ball in the oven for 5–8 minutes.
- When the potatoes are softened drain and add the scallions, cream, butter, cheese and mustard and work the mixture until you achieve a firm but creamy texture. Season and serve.
- Drain and serve the diced vegetables and place the chicken on top. Add the cabbage ball, gravy and garnish with thyme.