Cheese and tomato quiche
Young Cook Finalist Recipe
- Maria Mulvaney
- St Malachy’s College, Belfast
- Key Stage 3
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch salt
- 100g Northern Ireland butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 20ml water
- 250g Northern Ireland cheese, grated
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 5 medium eggs
- 100ml Northern Ireland milk
- 200ml Northern Ireland double cream
- To make the pastry, sift the flour together with a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until it you have a soft breadcrumb texture and then add the thyme. Add the cold water to make the crumb mixture come together to form a firm dough.
- Roll out of the pastry on a light floured surface and place into a well–buttered dish. Don’t cut off the edges of the pastry yet. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Pre–heat the oven to 190ºC / 375ºC / Gas 5.
- Remove the pastry case from the fridge and line the base of the pastry with baking parchment and then fill with baking beans. Place on a baking tray and bake blind for ten minutes. Remove the beans and parchment and return to the oven for five minutes to cook the base.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 160ºC / 325ºC / Gas 3.
- Sprinkle the cheese into the pastry base and add the sliced tomatoes if you are using them.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs with the milk and double cream in the bowl and season well. Pour over the tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Trim edges and serve.