Fig and plum ‘Irish weave’ lattice pie
Young Cook Finalist Recipe
- Mrs H Stewart
- Cambridge House Grammar School, Ballymena
- Key Stage 4
- 275g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g half–fat butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 6 plums
- 6 figs
- 60ml water
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 mint leaf
- 500ml Northern Ireland skimmed–milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp heaped corn flour
- 2 medium egg yolks
- To make the pie, sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar and the half–fat butter, and using your fingertips rub until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix in 1 egg yolk and water to allow the pastry to come together. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 25 minutes.
- Chop and de–stone the plums, and slice the figs for the fruit compote.
- Put the fruit into the small saucepan, shake the sugar equally over the fruit and then add 60ml water. Cook at a medium heat for 10 minutes until the fruit is softened and then take it off the heat and cool.
- Beat the second egg yolk in a bowl with a few drops of milk to make the egg wash for the top of the pie. Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out 2/3 of the pastry on a lightly floured surface (until it is 3mm thick).
- Carefully lay it over the rolling pin and drape over the prepared oven pie dish.
- Put the pastry base on the top shelf of an oven at a moderate heat and bake blind for 15 minutes using ceramic baking beans.
- Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and make the lattice top for the pie. Using a chopping knife cut the pastry into strips and then set them aside.
- Take the pastry out of the oven, remove the ceramic baking beans from the oven pie dish and fill the pastry with the fruit compote. Carefully weave the strips of pastry to form a lattice, and add egg wash for the glaze using a pastry brush. Put in the oven for a further 15 minutes until golden. Take the pastry out of the oven, remove from the oven pie dish and leave on a cooling rack.
- To make the custard, heat the milk (all but 2 tbsp) with the vanilla pod and simmer.
- Mix the sugar and cornflour together. Add 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 egg yolks to the mixture. Stir the ingredients together until there are no lumps.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and pour the warm milk into the egg mixture and whisk the ingredients together.
- Return the ingredients to the saucepan and continue to whisk together over a medium heat. Do this until the custard thickens.
- Put the custard into a small serving jug and place the mint leaf at the side of the pie. Dust the lattice pie and plate with icing sugar.