Cardamom butter chicken
Young Cook Finalist Recipe
- Mr Nick McKee
- Tor Bank School, Belfast
- Special Education
- 4 Northern Ireland chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic
- Small piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies
- Small bunch fresh coriander
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2tsp turmeric
- 2tsp garam masala
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground fenugreek
- 1 can tomatoes
- 12 cardamom pods, seeds removed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150ml Northern Ireland yogurt
- 50ml Northern Ireland double cream
- 200g basmati rice
- To make the curry paste, chop the chillies, garlic cloves, ginger, coriander stems and a pinch of salt then blend together in a food processor
- Mix together the turmeric, cumin, garam masala and fenugreek. Leave to one side until later. Remove seeds from the cardamom pods.
- Chop chicken breasts into chunks.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan, cook the onion slowly until golden (15 to 20 minutes). Then mix in the curry paste with the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add in the spice mix and cook until fragrant. Remove the onion mix from the pan and place in a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of oil to a pan and cook the chicken until golden. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
- Add about 200g of basmati rice to a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer until soft and fluffy.
- Return the onion mix to the pan and add cardamom, tinned tomatoes, 400ml of water and a cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the sauce and cook until the sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. Then stir in the yogurt and cream.
- Serve with rice.