Tomato and basil soup with a chilli kick
- Mrs Catherine McCrossan
- Aquinas Diocesan Grammar School, Belfast
- Key Stage 4
- 500g cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 100ml Northern Ireland crème fraîche
- ½ large red chilli, deseeded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Bunch of fresh basil
- Olive oil and extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Pull the tomatoes off the vine. Quarter larger ones and put all the tomatoes into a roasting tray. Drizzle over olive oil and season.
- Add the chilli and crushed garlic cloves, toss everything and put on the top shelf of the oven for 12–15 minutes.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion and put into a saucepan with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Turn the heat up to medium and leave to soften.
- Stir balsamic vinegar into the onions and let them reduce down.
- Take the tray of tomatoes out of the oven and add everything to the pan of onions.
- Carefully pour the vegetables from the saucepan into a liquidiser. Add most of the basil along with crème fraîche and whiz up.
- Season to taste and top with a dollop of crème fraîche, a few basil leaves and a drizzle of the extra virgin olive oil. Serve with homemade tomato bread.